Saturday, October 11, 2008

Naming You Is Not Easy

“Cadangan nama baby: Danisha Iris. Boleh x? Ke terlebih mat saleh?” That was the sms I received from your grandmother, Nek Ma on September 4th 2008 at 19:52:05. That was when she knew that you are a girl. Her other favorite names are Dasmeen and Zara and Kaisara. Previously when everybody thought you are a boy, she would love to name you Edrousse Dinzly, a name after a not so popular Malaysian actor. Nek Ma really did her research on your names.

Also did Tok Ba. His favorite name is Ibnu Jaabar, which I am quite terrified with that beautiful Islamic name if people see me in skinny jeans while asking me your name. Balqis and Izati are his girls’ favorite names. Tok Ba also did his research on your names. He even bought us the book of naming a baby – ‘1000 Nama-nama Islam’. See dear baby, you really have a very charming gainsay grandparents.

Everybody tried to give you the best names. Tok Kedah suggested giving the front name Nurul if you are a girl and Firdaus if you are a boy. Nek Umi would love to name you Miftah. Tok Ayah Za recommended giving three words names since one and two words names are quite ordinary these days. Pak Su Faiz would love to name you Ania Anisha. Everybody was so excited naming you and hey, do say thanks to them!

What about Mummy and Bapak? We really didn’t know where to start to. I thought naming you is just a piece of cake. So, as a good parent to be, Mummy and Bapak decided to prepare both boys and girls’ names. I prepared for girl’s names and Bapak prepared for boy’s names. I didn’t know where it came from, but I just love the name Nona and I stick to it. Just a plain Nona. Bapak didn’t fully agree since he said that we have to name our baby boy Mas if we have a boy in future. (Oh, what a thought…) On the other side, Bapak stick to Waqas. And of course I didn’t agree since you have that very Kelantanese blood half running in you. I’m afraid that the elocution is not Waqas anymore but more to Wakah. Oh no no no! (Bapak would definitely say ‘Oh what a thought’ if he ever read this entry).

So where does Iris Adeena come from? Honestly speaking, I don’t really remember the exact day, but it comes across to me it was on my early pregnancy, maybe in my two or three months. The name was actually come out to my mind way long before Nona. Mummy and Bapak were in the kitchen preparing our dinner. I remembered Bapak was cooking us a dinner while I was washing the dishes. Then it just popped out to my mind and I said to Bapak “Kalau girl, kita letak nama Iris Adeena nak? Maksudnya bunga agama kami. Sebab tadi She surf internet Adeena maksud agama kami. Tapi She suggest je.” Bapak looked agreed, but the conversation ended there.

The naming game stopped there until you came out to this world. We were still in puzzle to give you a good name. But Bapak still remember that Iris Adeena and after a week discussion, we both agreed with the name. Still Bapak did his research by googling the meaning of Iris of various languages. And here are the meanings; Arabic: flower, English: pupil, Hebrew: wealthy friends; Greek: rainbow. I just love the meaning in Greek, the rainbow. You are definitely our rainbow!

And on the 11th day of your arrival, Bapak legally registered your name with Jabatan Pendaftar and now you have your own identification card. Let Mummy keep that for you until you have your own purse. Our dear baby is our flower, our pupil, our friend and our rainbow forever and ever! And oh, I would love to end this entry by showing the world the most amazing photo on earth. It is your photo in Tok Ba and Nek Ma’s living room where you were sleeping and there was a rainbow appeared on the floor because of the reflection of the sun light and Nek Ma’s crystal. Enjoy world!


Our rainbow!

No comments: