Thursday, January 3, 2013

Read aloud: Thumbelina

Thumbelina is just another fairy tale loved by my girls, besides Cinderella and Snow White.  This book retold by Bryan Alderson and illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline.  The story is still retaining Andersen's details, and so you'll find out Renaissance's kind of words.  Besides its' beautiful illustration, the story is kind of jumble here and there.  We definitely need to read the whole story by Hans Christian Andersen.  This retold version heightens the role of the swallow a bit, rather than Thumbelina herself.  But huzzah the illustration!  You can feel the easy breezy pace on each page.  Tell you that I'm not fond of old fairy tales.  I seriously feel that they were created to correct the morale of the people at that particular time.  It is more a social satire to me.  As it happens, most of the story will be having a "The king and queen gave birth to a beautiful baby girl", which isn't saying much that all babies are cute.  Like in the Snow White, she hadn't been killed by the hunstman ordered by Elthel June.  Perhaps she was a flirt and besides, the hunstman was only human, and what's more, a male.  And a name Snow White?  She would be teased up regularly from kindy to fifth grade. I'd rather choose books authored by Mo Willems, Eric Carle, Michael Rosen, Oliver Jeffers, and all books from goodword.com and Learning Roots. I'm not being critical, but giving view from my corrupted mind.  Just so, I'm still reading this version with all my hearts.  Iris loves the maybugs, while Iesha wishes she's a spider making wedding dress to Thumbelina.  (Like seriously, getting married while you are a fifth grader?)


That's where it all started, said the swallow.

Rek-kek-kek-kek!


No comments: