Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Iris and Stage

Last weekend was a busy one for us. Iris had her first stage performance. That was for her pre-school's ihtifal and graduation day for 6 years old students. So the juniors (4 and 5 years old) need to entertain the audience letting out the seniors to enjoy their robes. Iris rarely talked about the show so I didn't give too much attention to that. I presumed these kids would merely perform on small stage with limited seats for the audience. I heard few times she hummed Desa Tercinta by Nora with a little cheeky twist "Ke kiri-lah, ahaii, ke kanan-lah, ahaii!!". Only 2 days before the event, she asked me to give kain sarung for her because the teacher asked her so. 

Then on Saturday morning, Iris woke up so early at 6 am which only took her alarm clock to ring only once. She didn't even put it on snooze mode and screamed in excitement "Dah pukul 2 ke Bapak?".Then I started to feel that her show was something significant for her. She then asked me to iron her baju kurung and at 1 pm we left the house to one Chinese school in Subang.

It was indeed a grand stage, with many seats I can ever imagine. (I mean, seriously, a primary school with such grand stage? Homaii!!) The event started with Quran recitation from 5-6 years old kids. Then a theatrical 'Butterfly Song' which left Iesha a bit sad because all the butterflies died at the end of the show. It was obvious that the butterflies need to die because they adhered to the lyrics:

 "Dari ulat jadi kepompong, 
tidur nyenyak dalam kelongsong, 
cukup masa kepompong pecah, 
pom, pom! 
jadilah rama-rama yang indah. 

Rama-rama terbang merata,
hisap madu di pohon bunga,
sungguh cantik aneka warna,
tapi sayang hidup tak lama,
tapi sayang hidup tak lama." 

She kept questioned me why the butterflies died, "Sebab butterfly dah lama hidup ke, Mummy?". I was pretty sure the first answer would never satisfy her, but I just answered it anyway. I kept repeating the same answer until the next show came on stage. It was a real fun 'Wiggle Dance' by 4 years old which amused Iyra to the max. Then the stage drapes closed and I was so excited to see what the stage would reveal-my girl, my girl, my Iris! I heard Desa Tercinta and I spotted a small girl with yellow baju kurung so melenggang-lenggok on that grand stage! It was my girl Iris!  I tell you, she's an expert in melenggang. She really did her performance at her best! She even threw the audience a queen's wave! Iris was in fact a true performer.

After her show, Bapak ran to the back stage to meet her. She was so relaxed about her show and we praised her on her good job. I asked her how did she feel, "Iris biasa je, Iris tak rasa apa pun." I started to imagine as if she were from a bunch of performers who lived in caravans which traveled and performed every day in their lives. She just asked me "Orang semua suka tak tengok Iris tadi?".  Till then, enjoy the moment!

The stage

Butterfly Song

Spot the girl in yellow baju kurung? That's my girl.

Village kids

She got a balloon for her great first show!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wah bestnyew..i imagine seperti teater kanak-kanak...

iris: truly a diva..
iesya: really a thinker and enjoy tgok performance. rasenye kalu budop laen x terpikir kot nop tye soalan spt why butterflies die..bule doh bowok gi istana budaya tu...

*panjang komen sebab akku wish aku nop tgok iris live performance jugop

Shahida Shalahim said...

@yon: Mmg excited sgt! Ada rezeki next time kita tgk ramai2.