Monday, November 4, 2013

Just Give It!

Developing charitable instincts in kids is a noble goal, but the process is not easy. Small kids or toddlers have their rules which are really significant to them. It may sound ridiculous for adults, but they really stick to their rules, to list a few: 

  1. If I like it, it's mine.
  2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
  3. If I can it from you, it's mine.
  4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
  5. If I saw it first, it's mine.
  6. If it's broken, it's your.
I didn't join any philanthropy class myself, rather I only read from few articles on charity. I didn't know what's right or wrong or any guidelines in charity, but I'd like to share few sayings from our beloved Nabi Muhammad on the matter. His sayings are so simple and we can even discuss with our children. 
"Every act of goodness is charity." -recorded by Muslim.
"The believer's shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his charity." -recorded by Al-Tirmizi.  
"Give charity without delay, for it stands in the way of calamity."-recorded by Al-Tirmizi.
"Save yourself from hell fire by giving even half a date-fruit in charity."-recorded by al-Bukhari.
And here are some of the charity ideas we can do with our children:

  1. Give art kits to orphans.
  2. Give fresh milk to orphans.
  3. Make 'Missing You' cards to grandparents.
  4. Give away toys to orphans.
  5. Give away old but not torn shirts to orphans or homeless people.
  6. Buy books to family or friends.
  7. Buy slipper and put it at surau or mosques.
  8. Feed stray cats.
  9. Save change and donate it to a charity.
  10. Plant a tree.

No comments: