Friday, November 8, 2013

Read aloud: The Girl Who Wanted to Dance


The book is about a little girl named Clara who is raised by her somber father and is enchanted by her grandmother's joyful story of her mother's dancing. And it is not surprised that Clara loves to dance too. Her father then becomes even more withdrawn after her grandmother's death. Then one day a troupe of musicians arrives in the village and Clara sneaks out to watch the performance and later follows their wagon tracks to their next destination. One of the kindhearted dancers finds her and asks Clara why is she tracking them down. Clara says she wants to dance. The kindhearted dancer teaches her to dance, then brings her home. Surprisingly one night the father joins the performers and dance with that kindhearted lady dancer which is actually his wife, and yes, Clara's long lost mother. This book may charm older children, but not preferable to Pre-K kids. I was a bit struggling to finish the book and I didn't know how to explain the message to my children. I mean should I tell my daughters that it's okay to abandon their parents just to follow their loves for arts or any other interests? This book might comfort a child with lost parent but still s/he may receive false hope of reunion. I can't even answer Iesha with questions like "Kenapa Mummy Clara tak ikut Bapak dia balik dengan Clara?", "Kenapa Mummy dia tinggal Bapak dia sebab nak dancing?" Gosh, a book with complicated message is not my preference, and it surely be tagged as "Not Now."

No comments: