Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Golden Drops

Yes, I am a firm believer of the goodness of breastfeeding. Thank God I still got enough milk for Iris. I didn’t read a lot about the benefit of breastfeeding, but I know it is the best food for babies. Bapak is also a firm believer in exclusive breastfeeding.

But it brought me a little problem once I went back to work. Tok Kedah was your first trainer to feed you my expressed breast milk (EBM) with the bottle. It was a chaos really. You refused bottle-fed and you dare ended up sleeping with empty stomach. I still remembered the first day I went back home from work, the first thing you searched from me was my milk and you drank like nobody business until you puke. It was really menyayat hati and I still remember up to this day.

Thank God after two weeks of training, you can bottle-feed easily. Thanks to Tok Kedah and also Nek Ma. But there are some days we tried to give you water and other formula milk, but you puke dramatically. You only want that drops from heaven.

I have experienced many things in breastfeeding. I really enjoy mothering you, but I cannot lie that sometimes stress did hit me. It happened when I thought that my milk is not enough for you. But Bapak said I didn’t have to worry because the milk is produced depend on your demand. I even consulted Dr. Rita Rahayu, a member of the Lactation Advisors and Consultants Association in Malaysia. She texted me this “Only those who are misinformed or uninformed will tell you to not to breastfeeding. Do not fall into the pit of ignorance! Knowledge, awareness, supports, and practice is your key to successful breastfeeding.”

And I will do everything to fully feeding you with my milk. I never online shopped, but to my surprise I did it because of you. I bought two bottles of herbs to enhance my expressed breast milk so I won’t get worry while I leave you with the sitter. I bought that from Dr. Rita’s website, http://www.momslittleones.com/. Thanks to Auntie Arin who introduced me to that site. But the only thing I regret about breastfeeding is I didn’t pump my milk while I was in confinement. You slept a lot while you were a newborn so I did have overflowed milk and I didn’t keep it. Now all I can do is only make-to-order EBM instead of make-to-stock. No one was trying to advise me on make a stock! Don’t blame others, you have Google Search.

So, to all new mothers out there, do breastfeed your babies. It has more benefits than challenges. Happy mothering!



Milkmaid Tea and Rich Milk Tea

7 comments:

Mummy Hanny said...

wah got to try these oso lah! i tot it is only fenugreek that is lactagogue!

Shahida Shalahim said...

it contains fenugreek la mummy hanny.tp rsnya amount susu sama je kot..hehe.

daughterette said...

few tips on EBM:
1. rub ur nipple and relax to stimulate ur letdown reflex
2. do get a good breastpump
3. try to EBM around 3am. the amount should be worth the effort

tips on immunisation:
always give PCM BEFORE the immunisation..like prophylaxis..always works!

nodoya shalala said...

mummy! jgn minum herba tu lg..kesian iris..iris skt! i tak caye ngan herba tuh!

Shahida Shalahim said...

dear daughterette-thx,i should ask tuan doketor about that prophylaxis.i already given paracetamol styrup for my baby bfr the injection, but it didnt work also.maybe next time i try out other syrup.yes, correct, pumping out EBM at 3 am is really worth an effort.

dear anya-yes, i hv always trust google serach than tuan doketor n anya n real human beings.i oledi stopped steeping those herbs.but i think bkn sbb herbs tu la..i reckon it must be that motilium..haha!

bapak iris adeena said...

even herbs had a picture in mummy's blog kan iris.. bapak kekadang sangat je muncul..

Shahida Shalahim said...

ala siannye kat bapak!numbers of photos doesnt mean my love to you la bapak.i have always have you in my heart,my mind,my blood,my blog.